[ale] SSL Certificates

Jeremy T. Bouse jeremy.bouse at UnderGrid.net
Thu Sep 20 16:41:42 EDT 2012

On 20.09.2012 16:25, Ben Coleman wrote:
> I've played with the free StartCom Level 1, but have been a little
> put
> off by having to put intermediate certificates in the browser or
> email
> client to have the certificates recognized.  Is this also true at
> Level
> 2, or is there a way around it?
>
> Ben

If you're having to put intermediate certificates in your browser or
email client then you're doing it wrong... The intermediate certificate
is only needed on the server listed as the CA certificate as the root CA
certificate is already installed in your browser.

If you're put off by having to use intermediate certificates in general
than give up on SSL completely as every SSL certificate provider I know
uses them as they place a shorter lifetime on their intermediate CA and
a longer lifetime on the root CA that is installed in the browsers.