[ale] Mass changing of file extension

Wolf Halton wolf.halton at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 21:17:34 EDT 2012

Wolf Halton
http://sourcefreedom.com
Apache developer:
wolfhalton at apache.org

On Sep 14, 2012 8:41 PM, "Jay Lozier" <jslozier at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 09/14/2012 07:15 PM, Wolf Halton wrote:
>>
>> Wolf Halton
>> http://sourcefreedom.com
>> Apache developer:
>> wolfhalton at apache.org
>>
>> On Sep 14, 2012 10:26 AM, "Jay Lozier" <jslozier at gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I saw a question about importing a *.tsv (tab delimited text files)
into
>> > a spreadsheet. The problem is *.tsv are unusual while *.csv are common.
>> >
>> > My question is how does one change the file extension of many *.tsv to
>> > *.csv files?
>>
>> your import won't fail because the delimiter is wrong after changing the
name?

>> just curious
>>
>> Wolf
>
> Wolf,
>
> LO Calc (the spreadsheet being used) allows you to change the delimiter
of the csv file. I use this feature often to change the delimiter to a tab
or semicolon. Sometimes commas are used a punctuation within the dataset
(XYX Corp, Inc. in a company field) which can cause problems when importing
into spreadsheet or database. Importing into MySQL/MariaDB requires one to
specify the delimiter used as well as the file type.