[ale] Mass changing of file extension

Jay Lozier jslozier at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 20:35:22 EDT 2012

On 09/14/2012 07:15 PM, Wolf Halton wrote:

> Wolf Halton
> http://sourcefreedom.com
> Apache developer:
> wolfhalton at apache.org <mailto:wolfhalton at apache.org>
>
> On Sep 14, 2012 10:26 AM, "Jay Lozier" <jslozier at gmail.com
> <mailto:jslozier at gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I saw a question about importing a *.tsv (tab delimited text files) into
> > a spreadsheet. The problem is *.tsv are unusual while *.csv are common.
> >
> > My question is how does one change the file extension of many *.tsv to
> > *.csv files?
>
> your import won't fail because the delimiter is wrong after changing
> the name?
>
> just curious
>
> Wolf

Wolf,

LO Calc (the spreadsheet being used) allows you to change the delimiter
of the csv file. I use this feature often to change the delimiter to a
tab or semicolon. Sometimes commas are used a punctuation within the
dataset (XYX Corp, Inc. in a company field) which can cause problems
when importing into spreadsheet or database. Importing into
MySQL/MariaDB requires one to specify the delimiter used as well as the
file type.

jslozier at gmail.com