[ale] mounting problems - cyanogenmod bn nook

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Sun Sep 9 09:15:53 EDT 2012

On Sat, 2012-09-08 at 15:17 -0400, John Anderson wrote:
> I am trying to get cyanogenmod running on a nook color and a nook tablet.

> I am following the advice to write an image file here:

> http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1000957

> I ran dd

> sudo dd if=~/Downloads/generic-sdcard.img of=/dev/disk/by-uuid/20C8-AF8A
> [sudo] password for olaf:
> 240975+0 records in
> 240975+0 records out
> 123379200 bytes (123 MB) copied, 1.71791 s, 71.8 MB/s

Bad move!

You dd'ed that image to a partition, not to the device.  That image
contains a partition table.  Do not use "by-uuid" for this purpose.  If
you do an "ls -l" on it, you'll probably find it points to something
like /dev/sdb1 and NOT /dev/sdb.  You have to dd it to the root device
like /dev/sdb or /dev/sdc.  DON'T dd it to a partition!  That's why you
are getting these errors.

Regards,
Mike