[ale] Tablet Keyboard

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Sun Sep 2 17:27:52 EDT 2012

comments inline

Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com> wrote:

>Yeah, battery life I can justify. Dell/Acer is stupid low battery. Yes
>the tablets are far less total mass to lug around as well.
>
>For me, I want to know that the portable gizmo I have can do what I
>need to do. The Acer netbook is the smallest I can go and the keyboard
>is cramped for that. I did bump up the battery from 3 cell to 9 so it
>doubled in weight but went to 8+ hours of use. That works! The
>replacement 30GB hard drive from the 8GB flash drive gave me room for
>a full distro. So I bumped up the RAM to 1.5GB and crammed on a full
>Fedora install.

Now you have a HYPER netbook

>I would like to go the other way with my laptop by getting a
>multi-touch screen and ultra long-life power savings system. Something
>that ramps down wifi power when not in use as well as flash drive, led
>backlight or OLED screen and on-demand multi-core cpu so it will power
>down unused cores and, of course, 100% Linux compatible (preferably
>shipping bare).

I've found screen lighting to be the most energy hog for a laptop.  I've  found out that I can extend battery life a good bit by turning the screen down so low I can barely read it.  Normally, I like to keep my laptop near an outlet, and run at full (horse)power.

I don't normally let my hard drives spin down, for reliability reasons, but you can to save energy.  Obviously not relevant to SSD.

Then, look for all the sensors, like GPS and photocells which change the screen illumination.

On Windows, you can set the cooling mode to passive, which throttles CPU before spinning the fan.

As  I'm sure you know, anything that emits radio waves will gulp battery power.  In a response to a prior thread, someone recommended My Data Manager to keep track of Android data usage.  It's pretty cool, and itemizes data usage by app.  It would be cool if there were something like it for a laptop.

I just went through this exercise on Android.  I've tried it only to a minimal extent on a laptop.  If you want to absolutely reduce wifi or 3g / 4g usage to the minimum, do the following, among other things, which I haven't thought of.  You really want to turn this stuff back on when you're not in an ultra minimal battery use / wifi use / 3g 4g use mode.  I don't know how to automate this, but that would be nice.

Turn off automatic OS update checking.
Turn off automatic syncing for things like dropbox and evernote.
Turn off automatic addon updates for Firefox and (on windows) automatic updates for Firefox itself.
Do the same thing with other programs which automatically update.
Turn off syncing on things like podcast or RSS clients.
Turn off location based services which would trigger the GPS and / or wifi and / or 3g 4g.
Either don't start email or turn off auto sync.  On Android, gmail syncs whether or not you start it.
Turn off other "sync" things like your music library.
Turn off java and javascript and flash in your web browser.  I do this on my pc with noscript for firefox.  I have to do it manually in Android.
If you really want to go all out, turn off image downloading in the browser.
Turn off or don't use things like Youtube, Hulu, Netflix and things like your ebook software which is always syncing your library.
Turn off things which automatically download sports scores, or stock quotes.
Turn off automatic facebook and twitter updates.
Turn off things that automatically report your location or activities to others.
Turn off things like WeatherBug, which routinely update their databases.

That should get rid of MOST of the wifi 3g 4g usage.  Something like My Data Manager, on Android, will reveal other things that ping the net in the background, but many of them use minimal data, unless they're doing it all the time.  What I'd like on both android and the PC is to be able to forbid individual apps from accessing the radio transmitters when I'm really trying to conserve data or battery.  Let them try all they want, they wouldn't get through.  (They'd still use CPU cycles though.)

Also, for battery purposes, temporarily disable background processes like drive indexing, defragging, and full virus scans.  Leave the live virus scanner active though.

I think Linux always runs the CPU cores in on demand mode unless you change it.

It would be really interesting to try to wring every last drop of usage from a laptop, which might normally run for 3 hours.  It would be interesting to see if you could force it to go 6 hours.

Sincerely,

Ron

>>> http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/