[ale] Web Site Conversion

Jonathan Meek jonathan.l.meek at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 14:57:55 EDT 2012

Bob,

As far as the hosting goes, I don't know if the group is 501(3)
non-profit, but dreamhost (dreamhost.com) offers free hosting for
501(3). I have heard good things about them. A few years ago, I was
using Go Daddy and had no problem out of them but I don't if things
have changed since then.

Also, I think there's a way to convert DotNetNuke over to one of the
popular Content Management Systems (CMS) (e.g. Drupal, Wordpress,
Joolma!). In theory, you should be able to export the server database
(assuming Microsoft SQL Server) to something like MySQL or PostgreSQL.

If I were to go about it, I think I would go this route:
        1) backup all current server setup
              --current server config files
              --full export of database
              --any DotNetNuke config files & webpages

        2) setup hosting for new site
             --I would choose a debian/ubuntu server but that's
because I am familiar with those systems & more likely an option on
the provider

       3) start converting over the old site to the new site using a
copy of the backups
            --database
                 converting MS SQL to MySQL (more than likely the
provider will use MySQL)
            --DotNetNuke to a modern Content Management System
                 --Most host providers have one-click setup of popular
Content Management Systems so setup shouldn't suck too bad.
                 --Personal experience has been that Joolma! has been
painful to work with but Drupal & WordPress aren't too bad. Also, it
is more likely that tools exist to convert from DotNetNuke to
WordPress or Drupal

I have some experience in working with setting up web servers (did
work for the school newspaper fixing a openSUSE 11.2 server we had and
started working on changing out the Content Management System from a
custom CMS to a popular CMS) but I think they are more people with
better experience than myself in the group. I am willing to help where
I can and as I can.

Regards,

Jonathan