[ale] RHEL 6 + Intel 82576 + IDT 32T8 = hang

Rich Faulkner rfaulkner at Tux86.org
Wed Oct 31 12:34:36 EDT 2012

Thought I'd hit the list quickly as I'm tracking down potential issues
between RHEL 6.x (likely 6.2) and the Intel 82576 / Intel Gigabit ET/ET2
and EF multi-port server adapters.  I am having issue(s) which I thought
were related to RH errata on the 82576 as related to AER.  To that end I
have set "pci=noaer" in the kernel command and have found a BIOS feature
that helps remedy my lab sample; but the field unit is still having
issues.  The field unit hangs when booted in this configuration or hangs
when booted and attached to a live network.  I kinda feel like I'm
shooting at a moving target (and may be) as the original issue was that
the system would show the Intel NIC via "lspci" but was non-functional.
No other expansion cards are in the chassis during test.

Has anyone here had issue(s) with the Intel E1G44ET2 using the igb
driver for RHEL as provided in 6.2 or 6.3?  The issue is NOT found in
RHEL 5.x and also centers around the use of one IDT 32-lane 8-port PCIe
switch.  (This may be leading me into the BIOS further and ASPM
support).  I have noted that Intel supports RHEL 5 but am not clear
whether they "officially" support RHEL 6 for this card.  Still doing
homework...

Thanks.........Rich