[ale] OT... Overheard at a CIRT meeting... WiFi...

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Wed Oct 31 11:25:26 EDT 2012

So, I'm the "head tech" at the UU church here in Gwinnett County.
Katherine is my "second in command" there.

Monday, I attended an all day CIRT (Church IT Round Table) event.

I was amazed at the problems they face with WiFi.  The church where we
were meeting has to deal with an AVERAGE 600 devices per day with a
typical peak of 1400 devices on Sundays!  (clue - a /24 for WiFi ain't
gonna cut it!)  They have seen 14,000 unique devices id's in their
latest reporting period.  A pastor tells the congregants to "open your
bible to..." and half the congregation pulls out tablets!

A comment overheard...

"Wireless Networking is a spiritual thing.
You get down on your knees and PRAY."

Ain't it da truth.

Regards,
Mike