[ale] snarky use of RedHat - heh, heh

Chris Ricker chris.ricker at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 09:22:42 EDT 2012

At my last job I deployed a few RHEV clusters instead of VMware
precisely because of the cost differential. For us (mid-sized
enterprise, an established VMware and Red Hat account) the RHEV
licensing PLUS the servers to run it on cost less than just the
equivalent VMware software licensing would have cost. Though, in
fairness, that was compared and purchased in the dark time when VMware
was charging a memory tax on top of the regular CPU-based licensing. I
think they've recently removed that from VMware due to competitive price
pressure :-)

If you go to http://www.redhat.com/products/virtualization/ and click
the "Cost advantage" link towards the bottom it'll bring up an ROI
calculator based off list pricing so you can get a good feel how it
would cost for you based on your chosen support level, preferred server
sizing, etc. It'll also give you a list-based TCO comparison of RH vs
Microsoft and VMware...