[ale] read after write verify?, data scrubbing procedures

mike at trausch.us mike at trausch.us
Fri Oct 26 01:09:27 EDT 2012

On 10/25/2012 09:12 PM, Ron Frazier (ALE) wrote:
> I guess, what's really bugging me, is that nothing we've discussed,
> outside of Spinrite or badblocks, actually verifies the drive's
> ability of the drive to write data before we actually TRUST it with
> data.

That depends on the application.  For your average household or
workstation system, that is absolutely correct.

There are options at various layers that will allow you to force read
verification of your writes.  Or you can do so yourself.  However, most
of our computers would be useless to us if they did so at every write.

Therefore, what we do is we TOLERATE failure, and we mitigate it by all
reasonable and practical means at our disposal.  If we do our jobs
right, we do not lose data except in the most extreme and exceptional of
circumstances, y'know, the ones where we may have bigger problems to
worry about then whether the data survived.

> Now I know, for SURE, that I'm going to burn in those replacement 1
> TB drives with Spinrite.

Breaking drives in is a smart move, whether you use SpinRite or just use
it daily for a few weeks.  I tend to do the latter.  I keep spare drives
handy, have a store nearby if I must, and can replace the HDD and
restore my data in my workstation fast enough that it's not going to
bother me unless I'm doing it more than a couple times a month, and if
that's happening, I'm changing vendors anyway.  :-)

	--- Mike

                                    --- Carveth Read, “Logic”