[ale] how do I clone a hard drive with clonezilla

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Thu Oct 25 13:19:00 EDT 2012

James Sumners <james.sumners at gmail.com> wrote:

>On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 9:31 AM, Phil Turmel <philip at turmel.org> wrote:
>> On 10/25/2012 09:01 AM, James Sumners wrote:
>>> He said he wants to clone the _larger_ drive to the smaller drive.
>>> Since dd is a block-for-block copy, it won't be able to copy to the
>>> smaller drive; unless you don't care that it will error out with
>20GB
>>> of blocks left to copy.
>>
>> Ron's request specifically stated that the last partition was within
>the
>> size of the target.  So yes, the out-of-space error as the end is
>> expected and harmless.
>
>Not if the source is fragmented and has data in that final 20GB that
>really shouldn't have been.

The last 20 GB is unallocated space, not part of any partition, if that helps.

>>> In regard to Clonezilla, directly from clonezilla.org: "The
>>> destination partition must be equal or larger than the source one."
>>> Also, "For unsupported file system, sector-to-sector copy is done by
>>> dd in Clonezilla."
>>>
>>> I think the best way to "clone" this drive to the smaller one is to
>>> prepare the partitions on the second drive and then copy the file
>>> system over. You can do it with two computers or with both drives in
>>> one computer, and there are multiple ways of doing it. I usually
>just
>>> use ssh, netcat, and tar:
>>>
>>> (on the destination machine) `cd /where/the/partition/is/mounted/ &&
>>> nc -l 5555 | tar xf - `
>>> (on the source machine) `cd /where/the/partition/is/mounted/ && tar
>cf
>>> - * | nc 192.168.0.5 5555`
>>
>> I suspected from Ron's other postings that one of the partitions was
>> ntfs... this scrambles the ACLs and renders that partition
>effectively
>> unusable.  Ron later confirmed, so no, this isn't appropriate.
>>
>> I heartily approve of this approach for pure linux FSs, the target
>ends
>> up without fragmentation.
>
>I answered the question with the information I had. Linux mailing
>list, Linux answer *shrug*.

I appreciate ALL the answers people provide.  I do have Linux, but I also have Windows.  I guess that complicates matters.

Sincerely,

Ron

Please excuse my potential brevity.

(To whom it may concern.  My email address has changed.  Replying to former
address.  Please send all personal correspondence to the new address.)

Ron Frazier
770-205-9422 (O)   Leave a message.
linuxdude AT techstarship.com