[ale] Ext4 kernel bug

Sean Kilpatrick kilpatms at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 08:48:39 EDT 2012

On Wednesday, October 24, 2012 10:49:20 pm Ed Cashin wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 9:57 PM, Sean Kilpatrick <kilpatms at gmail.com>
wrote:
> > I'm outta my depth here.  How serious is this bug?
> >
> > http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTIxNDQ
> >
> > Is there anything I  can do to guarantee the FS journal is complete
> > before a shutdown/reboot?
>
> I don't know, but I was interested by your question and found out that
> when I create a new ext4 filesystem and grep for "Journal" in the
> dumpe2fs output, it says Journal sequence 1.

[rest snipped for brevity]

Ed,
Your detailed, technical answer is useful, but leaves me with another
question:

I've got to update this FC13 box. Would it be better to skip FC 14 and
install FC 15 instead with btrfs instead of ext4?

Or am I better off staying with ext4 as this is a [relatively] lightly used
desktop box -- ie no database or other work requiring many small changes
to files on two 360 GB drives in a RAID 1?

Sean