[ale] (OT) Minnesota bans Coursera: State takes bold stand against free education.

Jay Lozier jslozier at gmail.com
Sat Oct 20 12:21:04 EDT 2012

On 10/20/2012 08:36 AM, John Pilman wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 7:28 PM, Jay Lozier <jslozier at gmail.com
> <mailto:jslozier at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>      First is Cousera offering any degrees or continuing education
>     credit; certificates of completion do not count even if highly
>     regarded.
>

> This looks to me to be nothing more than a attempt to gain some
> registration fees that they do not deserve along with a paranoid
> delusion that the state can have some control over course content.
>
> Aside from that, certificates of completion do count for continuing
> education credit required for professional registration by most states.
>
> ...John

The courses I looked at did not state they gave CEU credit so whether
the certificates are acceptable depends on the licensing bodies. In some
fields the licensing bodies only count credits from approved providers.
This is more of an accreditation issue than a comment on the quality of
the courses. From the little I have taken from Coursera I do not think
the issue is content but accreditation/registration with the various bodies.

--
Jay Lozier
jslozier at gmail.com