[ale] WARNING - beware if you buy a "device" with "software"

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Wed Oct 17 16:46:19 EDT 2012

Hi Boris,

The product generated an mpg file which looked pretty good on playback and the file properties say it has an 8 Mbps data rate.  I THINK they're encoding straight to MPEG 2 with on chip dsp right in the usb stick.  I could be wrong.  VLC says the video codec in the file is MPEG 1/2 mpgv, whatever that means.  As I recall, the CPU (dual core 1.7 GHz) was being driven to about 50 - 70% during the capture.  Since USB has a max bandwidth of 480 Mbps (more than the firewire 400), it should be able to handle a good bit of raw unencoded video, up to a point.  I've seen USB hard drives transfer around 35 M bytes / sec.  That works out to about 350 M bits / second of real world speed.  That's a lot of bits.  I guess testing the device is the ultimate proof.

Sincerely,

Ron