[ale] My Raspberry π is here

mike at trausch.us mike at trausch.us
Wed Oct 17 16:22:09 EDT 2012

On 10/17/2012 01:50 PM, Ron Frazier (ALE) wrote:
> Your message made me think of a specific application for the pi that
> I have need of.  I have to maintain my Dad's Windows Vista computer.
> He lives in Jasper.  I can drive up there to do things and do so
> periodically.  That also give us the opportunity to have lunch, etc.
> However, it's nice to be able to do things by remote control.  I can
> already do this with a Windows application called CrossLoop, kind of
> like Go To My PC, etc.  That works OK if Windows is working and all
> the communications stuff is working.  However, I cannot reboot that
> way and I cannot manipulate the BIOS.  Dad has to help me get logged
> into the machine.

I plan on something along similar lines for my parents' network in Ohio.
 Something that keeps a VPN with my home network so that I can
communicate with their network very easily, and be able to login to
systems over there.

Insofar as a KVM type thing, one would, I am pretty sure, need to have
more than just the π to do that; VGA alone has 12 or 13 (if memory
serves) active lines in the 15-pin connector.  That said, if the USB
chipset can be put in "device" mode, it should be perfectly possible to
use a RT-class process to make the π appear as a keyboard and mouse to
any system, and the other port can be used to hook up the user's real
keyboard and mouse.

You could then disable local user input with a command and "take over"
the entire system.

Slightly related: using a connection to a relay on the power line to be
able to power cycle the system.

Also related: using the π, installed *inside* the computer case, to be
able to trigger the softpower switch at will, remotely.

The ideas get better and better!

                                   --- Carveth Read, “Logic”