[ale] My Raspberry π is here

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Wed Oct 17 13:50:50 EDT 2012

Hi Mike W,

Your message made me think of a specific application for the pi that I have need of.  I have to maintain my Dad's Windows Vista computer.  He lives in Jasper.  I can drive up there to do things and do so periodically.  That also give us the opportunity to have lunch, etc.  However, it's nice to be able to do things by remote control.  I can already do this with a Windows application called CrossLoop, kind of like Go To My PC, etc.  That works OK if Windows is working and all the communications stuff is working.  However, I cannot reboot that way and I cannot manipulate the BIOS.  Dad has to help me get logged into the machine.

I need a fully encrypted remote kvm.  It would sit between the pc and it's monitor, mouse, keyboard, and router; and would, once I'm properly and securely authenticated, transmit all kvm signals back and forth to me.  It should also allow local pass through so the original keyboard, mouse, and monitor still are usable.  That way, I could reboot the machine if necessary, and even get into the BIOS.  Nice to have features would be remote control of the power outlet, status information for the power outlet, remote control of the power and reset buttons, and a visual light signal at his location to indicate when I'm connected.  He should be able to switch off the remote connection at any time if desired, in case anyone nefarious breaches the security.  I may even want a key switch to be turned on at his site to enable login, although being able to log into the machine when he's not even there would be helpful.  The ability to transfer files back and forth would be very helpful.  I suppose I could start Crossloop once I boot up, but that seems a bit kludgy.  The interface between my machine and his needs to be fully graphical without any cooperation from the OS on his system.

I know such things are on the market, but they are quite expensive.

By the way, I like the idea of the power disturbance analyzer.  Available bandwidth may be a problem, depending on what the highest harmonic you want to measure or the shortest spike.  If the sensor pod had it's own micro controller and USB port, you could probably get much higher bandwidth.  It would be interesting to tie some of the sensor pods from the PC based O-Scope products to the pi and run some DSP algorithms or something like matlab on the pi.  I think some of those sensor devices or probe devices use USB.

Sincerely,

Ron