[ale] Source for Inexpensive, Quiet, Low-Power, rackmount server?

Scott Castaline skotchman at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 23:32:34 EDT 2012

On 10/16/2012 10:00 PM, Ron Frazier (ALE) wrote:

> "mike at trausch.us" <mike at trausch.us> wrote:
>
>> On 10/16/2012 09:05 PM, Ron Frazier (ALE) wrote:
>>> I was unable to find definitive data on how these things fail
>>> at the end of their life.  Also, if the unit is powered off,
>>> and it cannot do it's data scrubbing, your data can fade away
>>> relatively quickly. Probably not a problem with a server that's
>>> generally always on.
>>
>> Flash has a decent enough retention---a device that's powered off
>> for a few weeks will work just fine.  My laptop with the SSD is
>> off for months at a time, and I have no errors on it.
>>
>> Failure will manifest the same way as any other block device,
>> with I/O errors at the block level.  Some SSDs attempt to
>> abstract this away a little more than HDDs do, by moving data
>> around the media more. However, once that stops being effective,
>> you'll get either bad data reads or read errors.
>>
>> Of course, if you have a sane backup regimen, it doesn't really
>> matter: you should always assume that all of your HDDs/SSDs are
>> going to die all at the same time, always.  It is the only way to
>> be safe, period.
>>
>> --- Mike
>

> I TOTALLY agree with your last statement.  However, I'd bet real
> money, if I had much of it, that 90% of all people and all
> companies don't meet the goal.  That includes me much of the time.
> Hope I just didn't jynx all my data.
>
> Ron

I can attest to the State of Georgia NOT doing backups. I had posted
about the office my wife works out of losing their Groupwise Server
affecting their email. That is still an ongoing problem that has yet
to be resolved. She later told me that all of the Regional data files
were on this server and the last backup made was in July 2009. All the
documents that involve various cases are gone from that time forward.
A lot of it had no hardcopy counterpart either.

Derek, just as a possible solution, check this link out,
http://guillaumeplayground.net/allwinner-a10-cluster-mele-a2000/. It
maybe overkill for what you want but could be workable scaled back a bit.