[ale] Source for Inexpensive, Quiet, Low-Power, rackmount server?

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Tue Oct 16 19:40:21 EDT 2012

On 10/16/2012 06:47 PM, mike at trausch.us wrote:
> On 10/16/2012 06:42 PM, Alex Carver wrote:
>> SSD as in solid state drive not BSD. ;)
>
> Wow.  Guess who needs new glasses?  :-P

Well, it appears that you AND I do.  I completely missed the main point to
offload a DB server.

The NewEgg deals aren't constantly available. They show up for a day or two
every month.  Two or three months ago, I picked up an AMD-E350 MB/APU/GPU + an
iStar case/PSU for $99.99.  The case was not rack mountable, so it isn't what
you want. It was a steel micro-case suitable for HTPCs, but I'd look for
something else in the $45 range if given the choice again. The processor doesn't
run Unity well, but it does handle LXDE and other needs just fine.  The builtin
GigE networking is nice.  The included PSU was noisy like a jet engine and had
to be replaced.  It was loud even behind a closed door.

Sorry that my initial reading completely missed your point.