[ale] Source for Inexpensive, Quiet, Low-Power, rackmount server?

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Tue Oct 16 18:54:26 EDT 2012

On 10/16/2012 15:45, Derek Atkins wrote:

> Note I said SSD, not BSD.  Thinking about a Solid State Disk (versus
> spinning disk).  Any comments?

Save the cash and stick with a spinning disk.  The I/O requirements on
MySQL aren't huge so there's very little speed-up from going SSD versus
spinning disk.  On the other hand, the short lifespan of the SSD will
give you heartburn later as the storage cells get used and abused by the
maintenance on the indicies and other housekeeping (true for any DB).

I've actually got one WinXP system running MySQL (WAMP - don't ask, I'm
still working on creating a LAMP system to replace it) with only 2 GB of
RAM and there aren't any performance hits that I've seen to MySQL.  It's
actually my primary desktop machine at work so plenty of other things
are running on it at the same time and yet I can do a big query from the
command line and get snappy return data (plus a swamped buffer).