[ale] OT converting old videos, cataloging dvds, storing forever

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Mon Oct 15 02:40:36 EDT 2012

Hi guys,

I wanted to share some cool info about ripping, cataloging, and storing
video and see if you have any comments or experiences to share.

I got a burr under my saddle to try to capture and convert about 100 old
video tapes, recordings of star trek, mission impossible, etc. from 10 -
20 years ago to computer format to preserve them since the tapes tend to
self destruct.  I got a video capture device called Honestech VHS to DVD
5.0 Deluxe from Frys.  It connects to composite or svideo and stereo
audio and inputs the data into the computer via usb, at up to DVD
quality using up about 4 GB / hour of storage.  It can also burn to DVD
but I haven't tried that yet.  It's kind of mind boggling how fast it
uses storage space.  The device's drivers only support Windows, so I
don't know if Linux would recognize it.  Anyway, it works fine in
Windows, but the built in editing software is a bit lame.  So, I'm
wondering if you know of any floss (preferably) cross platform (at
least) video editing software (like Audacity is for audio) that I can
use just to do basic import, cutting commercials, titling, and audio
sync.  I don't need anything very fancy.  My main goal is just to get
the video on something that's likely to last a while.

I also wanted to share a great way to track and catalog DVD's that
you've purchased.  It's an android app called MyMovies (free - limited
to 50 titles) and MyMovies Pro ($6 - unlimited).  It's ultra cool.  Just
scan the bar code and it looks up the movie, adds it to your database,
and imports cover art.  You can also change the sort order, enter some
custom data, and generate some reports.  I really like the app.  Now, I
can take my tablet with me when I go shopping and immediately find out
if I have a certain title.

Finally, may have found the ultimate way to save your critical data
permanently.  It's a technology called m-disc.  They use an INORGANIC
stone like substrate in the dvd like disc to store data.  It requires a
special writer, which you can get for under $ 50.  It can be read on any
dvd+r or dvd+rw compatible reader.  And, GET THIS, it's supposed to last
for 1000 years, and that's just because the polycarbonate laminate
breaks down.  Discs are $3 ea for a 4.7 GB disc.  So, I'm definitely not
going to store all my 800 hours of video on this, but special things,
like my wedding video, maybe.  I don't currently own an m-disc writer,
but I'm thinking of getting one just because it's too cool not to.
Check out the following links.

http://millenniata.com/
http://millenniata.com/technology/
http://millenniata.com/m-disc/
http://www.frys.com/search?search_type=regular&sqxts=1&query_string=m-disc&submit.x=0&submit.y=0&cat=0
http://www.frys.com/product/6923077?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG
http://www.frys.com/product/7094061?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Please let me know if you have any tips or experience relevant to these
issues.

Sincerely,

Ron

--

(To whom it may concern.  My email address has changed.  Replying to former
address.  Please send all personal correspondence to the new address.)