[ale] [OT] PayPal

Brian Mathis brian.mathis+ale at betteradmin.com
Sun Oct 14 11:45:49 EDT 2012

As others have said, there is nothing wrong with Paypal as long as you
use a shipping method that you can track, but even then someone can
stick it to you by claiming the item was not as described, etc...
Paypal, like all payment processing companies, heavily favor the
buyer.

However, you're asking about Paypal but you're really talking about a
Craigslist transaction.  I have done a lot of selling on Criagslist,
and the only acceptable method for buying on Craigslist is cash in
person.  That's it.  As the banners say in every email, do not deal
with people who are not local.  They always have some story about how
they are busy or overseas, but really want your item and will arrange
for someone to come pick it up for them, etc...  These are always
scams.  If the person cannot pay in person and in cash, do not deal
with them, period.

On Craiglist, if you have any slight feeling at all that it might be a
scam, it is.  When I list something, I easily get 10-20 scam emails
for every 1 real person.  Your quoted email sticks out to me as
providing too much information on how to use Paypal.  In my
experience, real people on Craigslist barely provide any information
at all, so too much like this is a warning sign.  There's also a false
sense of urgency by asking you to do things "asap".

Craigslist is meant as a venue for selling locally.  If you are
willing to ship your items, then list them on other sites that are
meant for that, such as eBay.  You get better protection simply
because that's how everyone operates there, and at least you can see
reviews of the buyer.  Also, figure out how you plan to pack and ship
the item before you list it.

❧ Brian Mathis