[ale] Little OT: Bad Linux Sysadmin Practices

Jeff Hubbs jhubbslist at att.net
Thu Oct 11 19:13:49 EDT 2012

Actually - as I pointed out at the time - there's another reason to not
do that.  You don't want to assume that the three conductors going to
one power supply are all at the same potential (at the same time) as the
three conductors in the other always and forever.  If some yobbo is
working on the first distribution point upstream and drops a toolbox
onto the connectors, what was once "ground" on one side might
momentarily become "hot" - and you really don't want the twain meeting
near each other in your servers.  No.  "Redundant power supplies" are
for protection against *failure of power supplies*, not failure of mains
power; protect against the latter in some other combination of ways.