[ale] OT verizon and other cell phone companies invade your privacy by DEFAULT

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Thu Oct 11 14:47:29 EDT 2012

Hi guys,

I just learned this on the latest security now podcast.

http://www.grc.com/secritynow/
http://media.grc.com/sn/sn-372.mp3

Verizon and other cell phone companies are violating and compromising
your privacy by default.  If you don't want them to do so, you have to
opt out.  To do so on Verizon, do the following.  If you have a prepaid
jet pack wifi hotspot or similar, it's probably on a different account
with a separate login.  I don't know about how to do this with the other
carriers.

Go to

http://vzw.com/myprivacy

Log into their website with your phone number and password.  If you've
never logged in online before, follow the procedures to get set up.  I
don't remember the procedure.  You may have to call customer service to
help you log in.  Once you're logged in, you should see the following on
the web page which describes what they are collecting and sharing about
you, and allows you to opt out.  If you don't see the proper page, go to
http://vzw.com/myprivacy again.

Repeat, this information about you is being shared already, unless you
opt out.  To me, this is pretty unnerving and frustrating.  I decided to
turn it all off.

Sincerely,

Ron

---------------------

  Location Based Services ("LBS") Privacy Settings

A location service is any service that provides access to location
information, such as maps of places of interest and turn-by-turn
directions, on your handset. These services may require Verizon Wireless
to access the location of your handset. For location services you use
that are supported by Verizon Wireless, you can Manage Location Privacy
settings. (link)

------------------

Customer Proprietary Network Information Settings

As a provider of certain telecommunications services, Verizon Wireless
collects certain information that is made available to us solely by
virtue of our relationship with you, such as quantity, technical
configuration, type, destination, location and amount of use of the
telecommunications services you purchase. This information and related
billing information is known as Customer Proprietary Network Information
(CPNI). The Federal Communications Commission and other regulators
require the Verizon Companies to protect your CPNI.

Verizon Wireless shares information among our affiliates and parent
companies (including Vodafone) and their subsidiaries unless you advise
us not to. Sharing this information allows us to provide you with the
latest information about our products and services and to offer you our
latest promotions.

-------------------

Business & Marketing Reports

Verizon Wireless may use mobile usage information and consumer
Information for certain business and marketing reports. Mobile usage
information includes the addresses or information in URLs (such as
search terms) of websites you visit when you use our wireless service,
the location of your device ("Location Information"), and your use of
applications and features. Consumer information includes information
about your use of Verizon products and services (such as data and
calling features,device type, and amount of use) as well as demographic
and interest categories provided to us by other companies (such as
gender, age range, sports fan, frequent diner, or pet owner). We will
combine this information in a manner that does not personally identify
you. We will use this information to prepare business and marketing
reports that we may use ourselves or share with others. We may also
share Location Information with other companies in a way that does not
personally identify you. We will allow these companies to produce
limited business and marketing reports. See our Frequently Asked
Questions for more information about these reports.

You have a choice about whether we use your information for these reports.

-----------------

  Relevant Mobile Advertising

When you use your wireless device, you often see advertising on websites
and apps. Using the postal address we have for you and certain consumer
information such as your device type, language preference and
demographic and interest categories provided to us by other companies
(such as gender, age range, sports fan, frequent diner, or pet owner),
we will determine whether you fit within an audience category that an
advertiser is trying to reach. This means ads you see may be more
relevant to you. We will not share any information that identifies you
personally. See our Frequently Asked Questions for more information
about relevant mobile advertising.

You have a choice about whether we use this information for relevant
mobile advertising. Please note that you will receive mobile ads whether
you participate or not, but under the program, ads may be more relevant
to you.

--

(To whom it may concern.  My email address has changed.  Replying to former
address.  Please send all personal correspondence to the new address.)