No subject

Tue Nov 13 08:16:38 EST 2012

everything, including their email and calendaring or they will run their own
email/calendar servers.  Clearly, letting google do all the work is easier.

OTOH, if you dislike commercial solutions, cannot (or will not) run Microsoft
Exchange, AND need enterprise calendaring, there are only 3 real options.
* Zimbra
* Zafara
* and that horde thing ...

Perhaps there are others.  If you don't need calendaring, I haven't a clue
beyond running a postfix box and using one of the popular IMAP servers. Last
time I did it (not using LDAP), it was trivial to do.

I need calendaring.  I'd be fired if calendaring weren't provided. It becomes
addictive to see when people inside your company are busy or to have a shared
calendar that an entire team can view and modify.

I've been running Zimbra servers the last 4-5 yrs. We limit server storage to
prevent it from getting out of hand, however, I stopped using folders abour 4
yrs ago myself.  I use tags and create virtual folders instead. This works for
specific client projects, family, and other specific things.  I do migrate all
emails yearly into {yyyy}-based folders just to keep the clutter down.  Since
Zimbra was owned by Yahoo, they do a great job of making server-side searches
efficient.

Whether Zimbra can handle the amount of email that Mike has is a different
question all together.  I don't know.

Zimbra is definitely heavy, since it does include the kitchen sink.  Recently,
VMware has removed a few features - that were added just to add them - probably
driving my marketing, not clients.

Best practices for email servers ... there must be thousands, learned over 15
yrs of running email servers.  The 1 that comes to mind right now is to run a
spam-blocker front-end email server.  Don't let the internet talk directly to
your main SMTP server.  Of course, never allow email boxes to get too large
would be #2 - 1GB should be enough. Email is seldom the best place to store
important data.  That's what a document management system is for. Some will
integrate with Zimbra I've read.

Zimbra is far from perfect.  I'm always looking for a better answer.
http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reviews/7289/1 is just a few months old
and talks about some lesser-known options.

Anyway, my $0.15.