[ale] OT Open-source energy (fuel from air)

Jay Lozier jslozier at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 18:00:00 EST 2012

On 11/28/2012 04:04 PM, Jim Kinney wrote:
> I saw a blurb on this process a while back. A potential semi-practical
> use was to use this in the stack of a power plant or cement factory.
> Extremely high CO2 and heat.
>
> Can't recall the blurb right now but a claim is out that a catalyst
> has been found that lowers the hydrolysis energy level. I didn't read
> the whole thing but vaguely recall some chemistry that sounded fishy.
The hydrogenation process requires a catalyst. Catalysis is actually
quite common in chemistry because the are two problems to overcome for a
reaction to occur. Thermodynamics determines whether the process can
occur in the direction desired - the pressure and temperature
requirements are usually a good clue. Kinetics is that even if the
overall thermodynamics are favorable the molecules must collide with
sufficient ("activation") energy and in the correct geometry for
reaction to occur. The pressure and temperature are also a factor.
Catalysts improve the overall kinetics of the reaction not the
thermodynamics and my guess would lower the temperature some but not the
pressure.