[ale] way OT - used car buying tips - yea or nea - PT 2

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Tue Nov 27 22:40:46 EST 2012

Some of the points are good but a few concern me enough to respond.

First, overinflating your tires isn't going to change your fuel economy
by more than a percent or two.  What it will do, however, is shorten the
life of your suspension components (and possibly a few other
components).  The tires are just as much a part of the suspension system
as the struts and springs.  The rest of the suspension is tuned
expecting a specific tire pressure (including allowances for tire
heating).  Keep it where the manufacturer recommends.  The money you'll
barely save from fuel over the entire life of the vehicle will be
outstripped by the cost of one set of new shocks and struts and anything
else damaged by heavy vibration.  Proper tire inflation also ensures
that the tires wear evenly and maintain good traction on the road.
Overinflated tires have small contact patches (which is why the fuel
economy goes up slightly) but that can result in less control of the car.

Second, the K&N filters require frequent maintenance.  They do capture a
lot of particulate matter owing to the fact that they are wet medium
filters but they do have a few side effects.  One is that they will
choke quickly requiring frequent washing and lubrication.  Second, if
they dry out, they end up more porous than standard dry medium filters
which allows more particulates into the engine.  Third, they have a mild
tendency to off-gas or emit vapors from the saturation oil.  Not all
engines have handled ingesting these vapors very well.  K&N's work
reasonably well for some abusive environments like the diesel engines of
semis which see a lot of dust, debris and soot but not as well in
regular consumer vehicles.  However, those big diesels can also handle a
lot of abuse, more than a consumer vehicle.

Third, synthetic oil isn't exactly all dinosaurs and trees.  There are
several additives in synthetics that aren't present in standard oil.
Older engines are not always compatible with synthetic oil so switch oil
types with caution.

Some places that also knock down fuel efficiency would be the ignition
system (electrically leaky wires, fouled plugs), leaky piston rings
(allows blow-by of the vapors into the crankcase before ignition), worn
cylinder valves and seats (also allows blow-by), leaky gaskets (head
gasket, valve cover gasket, PCV valve gasket, etc.), leaky air hoses and
vacuum hoses (more prevalent in older cars), worn emission control
components (PCV valve, vapor recovery canister, O2 sensor, throttle
sensors, worn or fouled fuel injectors or carburetor if the engine is
old enough), and a few other things like the thermostatic valve, clogged
radiator (engine temperature affects combustion), or worn engine mounts
(causes the engine to work harder if the mounts shift the engine out of
alignment).