[ale] OT: a interesting new Android 4.04 based toy to play with

Jason van Gumster jason at handturkeystudios.com
Mon Nov 26 12:16:37 EST 2012

"Ron Frazier (ALE)" <atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the links you sent.  I'll check out the hackers keyboard later.
> However, I'm using a physical bluetooth keyboard on this tablet.  When this
> is on, the on screen keyboard goes away.  It works great but it has no keys
> for page up, page down, home, end, cut, copy, paste.  I was wondering if
> there were shortcuts like (ctrl-c) etc. which would work.

Ah... I'm not aware of any, but haven't had a need to look for them either (the
tablet I got doesn't have bluetooth support).

> I was able to use the other link to install the google market on this cheap
> tablet.  However, it's an older version, which has now been replaced by the
> google play store.  I tried installing the apk for the play store from my
> other tablet, but the app keeps crashing.  Do you (or anyone) know how to get
> the newest google play store working on one of these tablets like the
> Uniden?  The play store has some cool features like auto app updates that I'd
> like to take advantage of.

Sorry, no. I haven't come across any means to get that happening. The Market
was good enough for me and I stopped there. That said, I'm considering the
tactic of trying out another ROM on the tablet (e.g. Cyanogen mod). It's a long
shot that stinks of desperation, but perhaps that would remove the Play store's
inhibitions.

Apologies that I couldn't provide a more helpful (and timely) response...

  -Jason