[ale] Raspberry Pi and ... Of all the projects for a microcontroller... OMG....

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Sat Nov 24 19:02:04 EST 2012

Ok....

There is no way I can post this without getting into a whole lotta
trouble and yet there is no way I can NOT post this...  I'm sitting here
laughing so hard I was in tears...  As old Red Skelton use to quip in
his "bad little boy" skits "if I do dis, I get a whipping...  Yeah, I do
dis..."

Sooo...  We've been having this discussion over what we can do with the
Raspberry Pi's and, by extension, the Ardunios (the Alamode is almost
required for some sensors and the Ardunio Duo looks really attractive).

I got my two RPs in on Wednesday right on schedule from Newark.  Both
are running right now with Fedora (one with the Alamode on its bus).  I
tried Raspian but was not real thrilled.  Only downside to Fedora 17 is
that it doesn't fully support the 512M ram on the newer boards but I
expect this to get fixed sooner or later.  At this point, well over half
of my "no additional hardware required" project list is well within
striking distance.  I've already had USB to serial connectors plugged in
and could use these for remote USB console devices, easily.  Things for
"syslog servers", "cron ssh little black boxes", "log harvestors", and
"nagios servers" are trivial from where I have them already.  I'm
getting ready to order several more for deployment into production
environments.

I'm already assembling the high voltage components for my big project
(the power line disturbance analyzer) and I've got parts coming in for
my sprinkler controller.  The IP KVM will have to wait...

So, I'm on track...  Come middle of next year, if we want to have a
meeting devote to Raspberry Pi and Ardunio projects, I will be there, no
question, even if the line disturbance analyzer is not ready.

But...  Then I ran into this.  I just don't know what to say.  I would
have never thought of it, but...  Any further commentary from me will
only dig me deeper...  I leave it to you all...  This is not for me to
comment on...

/me picks jaw up off floor and finds a nice quite place to hide in while
waiting for the flash of light and mushroom cloud on the horizon...

http://scanlime.org/2012/11/hacking-my-vagina/

Regards,
Mike