[ale] OT: a interesting new Android 4.04 based toy to play with

Justin Goldberg justgold79 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 22 20:13:45 EST 2012

On 11/21/12, Erik Mathis <erik at mathists.com> wrote:
> I got one of these for $50
>
> http://www.brandsmartusa.com/ProductViewer.aspx?mid=162084
>
> It works pretty well except for netflix crashing and rather poor wifi
> reception.. I was able to play movies via crackle and google app store
> worked fine for me.

Here's the older netflix 1.8.1 linked to from the blog above with the
polaroid app store fix, hopefully it's more compatible with this
tablet.

It sounds like the wifi antenna or chipset is weak, though.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i8yqev7jqjp7k77/netflix-1.8.1.apk

> -Erik-
>
> On 11/14/2012 03:26 PM, Van Loggins wrote:
>> Guys,
>>
>> for anyone on the list who likes tinkering with Android devices, Big
>> Lots currently has a Emerson 4.3" Android 4.04 (Ice Cream Sandwich)
>> device that they are selling for $50 dollars.
>>
>> I picked one up and have been having a lot of fun with it. I
>> discovered that it was already rooted (just needed to install the
>> superuser binary), and that it was super easy to install the Android
>> Market on it.
>>
>> It's a nifty little device. I'm not sure how long it's gonna stay on
>> sale. The normal price for is is $60 dollars.
>>
>> I'm going to use mine in place of my old Ipod Video. It works great
>> when used with doubletwist to sync my itunes playlists. :)
>>
>> Anyways just wanted to share this, sorry if I went too far off topic.
>>
>> Van Loggins

Looking for better conference calls? Try Uberconference:

http://uberconference.com/zevcxTpX