[ale] Issue with Virtual Box 4.2.4 on Lubuntu 12.04 encrypted hard drive

Jonathan Meek jonathan.l.meek at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 15:00:40 EST 2012

Hi everyone,

I just recently switched to Lubuntu 12.04 on my main computer at home
because I like LXDE over Unity and LXDE lets me use my computer like a
computer instead of a tablet. I downloaded Virtual Box 4.2.4 and
installed it on my system. When I went to create a VM, I chose to
create a static allocated hard drive. It took Virtual Box overnight to
complete the process of creating a 100 GB virtual hard drive. When I
awoke this morning to start the VM, VirtualBox told it couldn't find
the hard drive. Checked the default folder for the VM hard drives and
it was gone. No trace, no nothing.

So I have no clue what went wrong. Here's some other
information/thoughts in case it is helpful:

    --Installed KVM and it had the same issue of creating a VDI

    --When I installed Lubnutu, I used the default option to encrypt
the hard drive and also encrypt the home folder
             --I am wondering if the home folder is not de-crypting
correctly, but I can see everything and access everything so maybe not

    --Default settings other than size of the hard drive and type of
hard drive were used in creating the hard drive.

    --I am trying to create a VM for Windows 7
           --yeah, I know that's my first problem but in order to get
out of doing QA at my job, I need to learn .NET & C#. Mono is a no-go
install on my system for
             some reason. Might need to build from source but that
might only get my knowledge base apart of the way given how heavy some
of the stuff developed is
             in .NET

    --If screenshots are needed, then I can supply them on the errors
I am seeing. Didn't want to fill people's emails with screenshots.
That's what Flickr/Facebook
      is for :D

Thanks in advance for any help, thoughts, feedback, complaints, or gripes.

Regards,

Jonathan