[ale] Something blew up -- but what

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 11:30:38 EST 2012

Radeon support is improving but it has a LONG way to go. Only the newest
chips are fully supported.

The NVidia proprietary driver ALWAYS works. Yes, it's not GPL but
sometimes things do just need to work.

Other options are harder to deal with as Radeon and NVidia are pretty
much the only two players left the graphics "card" arena. Most of the
others make embedded on mobo chips.

On 11/20/2012 10:54 AM, Sean Kilpatrick wrote:

> Things often go wrong in threes. At this rate I am heading for 9.
>
> :(
>
> Unscrambled the memory problem by removing the new memory sticks and
> returning to the original setup. But late last night on a reboot all I
> got was a beep code: one long, two short. That means, "video is toast."
>
> I'm guessing here, but I suspect that trying to drive the new monitor
> at 1920 X 1200 overtaxed the onboard video chips and they died. MOBO
> is at least 5 years old.
>
> So, today I ran yet again to Frys and purchased a new video card, an
> ASUS 6450 with 1 gig onboard memory. I'm not playing games so have no
> need for a high-end video card. My thinking was that the ASUS card
> would be able to speak to the ASUS monitor.
>
> Not that I can tell. The video card won't produce anything above 1600
> X 1200. ASUS apparently doesn't have a linux driver so now I am
> stymied with a monitor that doesn't look anywhere nearly as good as it
> should.
>
> According to documentation on the web, this card actually has an AMD
> Radeon HD6450 graphics chip, which is capable of resolutions above
> what this monitor can handle. Go figure.
>
> Current video driver is the 2.1 Mesa 7.8.2.
>
> Advice on where to go next would be appreciated.
>
> Sean

> On Saturday, November 17, 2012 06:15:04 pm Sean Kilpatrick wrote:
>
> > I'm planning on running memtest overnight. It takes a while.
>

> > But now I have discovered another oddity. Videos don't play.
>
> > Specifically, I can hear the audio stream, but all I see is a green
>
> > screen where the video ought to be.
>
> > Ought to add that I changed the output from computer to monitor from
>
> > vga to DVI. I am about to change it back and see if that makes any
>
> > difference.
>

> > Sean
>

> > On Saturday, November 17, 2012 05:42:33 pm Sam Rakowski wrote:
>
> > > Hi,
>

> > > I can't tell definitively from the syslog, but I would imagine that
>
> > > it has something to do with your new memory. Have you tried running
>
> > > memtest on the memory? Sent via BlackBerry

> > > See JOBS, ANNOUNCE and SCHOOLS lists at

James P. Kinney III

Every time you stop a school, you will have to build a jail. What you gain at one end you lose at the other. It's like feeding a dog on his own tail. It won't fatten the dog.
- Speech 11/23/1900 Mark Twain

http://electjimkinney.org
http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/