[ale] IPv6 trouble w/ CM10

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Wed Nov 14 17:37:28 EST 2012

On Wed, 2012-11-14 at 17:02 -0500, Richard Bronosky wrote:
> I'm using CM10 (now Stable, but I have ran nightlies for 3 months) on my
> T-Mobile SGS3. I am offering this information as I may be a resource for
> other questions. Unfortunately I cannot speak about IPv6. I don't use IPv6
> for anything.

> My thought on the issue in general is that you may just be having a hard
> time finding an app whose developer put any consideration into IPv6. Some
> questions that might help:

> 1. Is IPv6 a feature of CM10, or is the stock OS supposed to support it too?

IPv6 is a feature of all Android I've run into (which is to say Froyo
and above).  It was present in my stock Sense ROM on my HTC EVO 3G a
couple of years ago when I first got it.  I was delightedly surprised.

> 2. Do know of apps that are supposed to be IPv6 capable?

Most apps SHOULD be using what we refer to as AF (Address Family)
Agnostic functions.  That is, they are coded in such as to not be
dependent on the address family of the connection.  It can be AF_INET,
AF_INET6, AF_UNIX (named pipes) the application should not care, if it
was coded properly to begin with.  Now days, it's actually easier to
code it AF Agnostic that not but some people still use legacy API calls
in C problems.  Java programs should NOT have this problem.

Regards,
Mike