[ale] HomeVPN

mike at trausch.us mike at trausch.us
Wed Nov 14 11:29:18 EST 2012

On 11/09/2012 01:32 PM, Justin Goldberg wrote:
> I'd be interested in hearing if anyone's gotten an SSH /Tunnel /working,
> rather than a mere SSH client/server session. SSH Tunneling from Android
> does require root.

SSH tunnels do require root, generally speaking, because you have to be
able to set up the TUN/TAP driver.

It's possible to set that up before running the SSH session and transfer
ownership of the TUN/TAP device to the user who will run SSH, but that's
a lot of extra work, too.

One major problem, though, that makes SSH tunneling very unsuitable for
anything but short-lived, ad-hoc interconnections: SSH is built on TCP.

Why is that a problem?  See:
   http://sites.inka.de/~W1011/devel/tcp-tcp.html

For more information.  But basically, you do NOT want to run TCP
applications over a tunnel that it itself built on TCP, as such
situation can lead to a denial of service for one or both networks.

	--- Mike

                                   --- Carveth Read, “Logic”