[ale] [ALE] OT: article on encryption keys and cloud computing

Ben Coleman oloryn at benshome.net
Tue Nov 13 21:30:02 EST 2012

On 11/13/2012 14:42, Jonathan Meek wrote:
> When a person tips pretty hard into a process or item without the
> appearance of seeing the drawbacks, I like calling it the "mythical
> tool" syndrome.
>
> "This tool will solve all our development problems and cure cancer!"
>
> I get this a lot because we use a few different configuration management
> tools in my company (e.g Git, subversion, clearcase, MKS) and I am
> always excepted to choose sides by a set of engineers.

I kind of expect this from certain types of management, where they don't
call it a tool - they call it a solution.  The problems with treating a
tool as a solution have been highlighted before.  But I'm puzzled at
engineers who expect to have a one-size-fits-all tool.  Have people
forgotten the benefits of knowing  a set (mmultiple!) of tools and
choosing the one that's appropriate for the current job?

Ben
--
Ben Coleman oloryn at benshome.net | For the wise man, doing right trumps
http://oloryn.benshome.net/     | looking right.  For the fool, looking