[ale] Can't happen here. [OT]

mike at trausch.us mike at trausch.us
Tue Nov 6 15:17:56 EST 2012

On 11/06/2012 03:07 PM, Jim Kinney wrote:
> I can't speak to the validity of ANY of this. But I really do want
> touch screen machines to generate a paper, human-readable ballot by
> default. Doesn't matter which set of monkeys is pulling strings if
> most fundamental part of what we are told is important is stolen when
> we use it. Elections should be open source with NO exceptions. We know
> how to do this.

Yes.  It would be very nice to have the thing give you a receipt of your
vote, so that you can see that the machine actually did record things
accurately.

It's interesting, really, when you think about it.  If you work with the
government, you're required to keep so many assloads of audit records,
log files, paper trails, etc., etc., etc. around so that you can prove
that you're not trying to stick a big dildo up Uncle Sam's ass, but
Uncle Sam doesn't have to do the same to us.

"By the people, for the people."  Wouldn't that mean that we should have
the right to audit the government?  Wouldn't that mean that we should be
able to see the code that goes into its systems?  Wouldn't that mean
that we should... *insert thing we can't do here*?

Why can't we hold the government accountable?

Hell, why can't we, the people, make law in Georgia?

That is one thing I seriously miss about Ohio.  I liked the fact that
should I want to, at any given moment, I could write a proposed law
myself, collect enough signatures to get it to appear on a ballot, and
then it would go up for a vote.  The General Assembly doesn't have
anything to do with it.

That process isn't frequently used, but when the people of Ohio are
angry about something that the General Assembly has (or has not) done,
it *IS* used.

	--- Mike

                                    --- Carveth Read, “Logic”