[ale] DRAT! - Ubuntu 11.04 end of life

David Tomaschik david at systemoverlord.com
Sat Nov 3 16:13:33 EDT 2012

On Sat, Nov 3, 2012 at 5:44 AM, mike at trausch.us <mike at trausch.us> wrote:
> On 11/02/2012 11:48 PM, David Tomaschik wrote:
>>
>> I've been running Cinnamon for quite a while now, both at home and at
>> work.  I use this PPA to install Cinnamon:
>> https://launchpad.net/~gwendal-lebihan-dev/+archive/cinnamon-stable
>>
>> (The PPA is maintained by one of the Cinnamon devs, so I fairly well
>> trust it...)
>

> Trust is relative...
>
> Are these forks going to last?
>
> Are they going to remain stable in the sense that they stay very much like
> GNOME's 2.x series?
>
> Are they going to be well-supported?
>
> I'll stick with GNOME 3, I think.  There are a lot of people behind it, it
> is improving all the time, and the GNOME Shell's extension mechanism,
> combined with the relative ease of writing plugins for it, makes it a (IMHO)
> superb environment.  Particularly with multiple heads.
>
>         --- Mike

So, from my perspective, trust means that I think it will be kept as
patched and up-to-date as the upstream codebase, and that the ppa
author hasn't done anything stupid/malicious when preparing the PPA.
As far as the long-term future of Cinnamon, given that it's the
default desktop environment for Linux Mint, I think it's likely to
have a decent future.

I'm inclined to move my laptop from Ubuntu to pure Debian next time I
reinstall.  The "shopping lens" in Unity crossed a line for me (I
don't use Unity, but I also don't want to support that kind of
behavior.)

--
David Tomaschik
http://systemoverlord.com