[ale] DRAT! - Ubuntu 11.04 end of life

Boris Borisov bugyatl at gmail.com
Sat Nov 3 15:55:07 EDT 2012

As much as this causes me pain to say it despite all that we dont like
about it Windows XP is so far LTS desktop OS. You still can install modern
software on more than 10 years old OS. Sorry for OT part.

On Saturday, November 3, 2012, mike at trausch.us <mike at trausch.us> wrote:
> On 11/03/2012 10:26 AM, Don Kramer wrote:
>>
>> A few quick comments:
>>
>> 1) If you want Ubuntu 12.04 with MATE: here's a distro that does that as
>> the default install:
>> http://www.snowlinux.de/482-snowlinux-2-qcreamq-download
>
> (At least I) have left Ubuntu pretty much for good.  I was thinking about
it before Unity, and Unity sealed the deal.  I've been getting the feeling
more and more that they don't really care about the users, instead caring
more about the "cool" "shiny" things that they can try to do.  To each
their own, of course.

>> 2) A lot of people behind Gnome 3?  Don't count on it:
>> http://blogs.gnome.org/otte/2012/07/27/staring-into-the-abyss/
>
> One blog post hardly qualifies; looking at git.gnome.org, it seems that
most of the things that are stagnant are the bindings, and that's probably
due to the fact that starting around the time of GTK+ 3 and its
corresponding GLib release, bindings are generated through
GObject-Introspection.  Vala has helped a lot with progression there.

> Most everything else seems to be pretty active still.  I don't have the
time right now to see who's doing what with them, but the fact that they're
still active seems to speak well for the project.  Keeping in mind that
GNOME is way more than just GTK+, GLib, and GNOME Shell, and most of GNOME
is common among the forks, at least insofar as I can tell, I don't see it
dying anytime soon.  As long as the forks contribute back for their
duration, it's all good.

> Maybe the people who lead the project could be convinced that having
multiple frontends for the system isn't a bad thing.  I personally would be
resistant to such a notion, since it'd spread resources out more than they
already are, and (at least) I am relatively happy with GNOME 3's interface.
 I use a lot of plugins, but it's not a big thing to me.  I like it a lot.

>> 3) How long will these forks last? Well, the KDE 3.x fork Trinity is
>> still being updated:
>> http://www.trinitydesktop.org/
>
> That's all fine and good, but I'm not sure what that has to do with the
people running/maintaining forks of GNOME.

>> My take on it is the Linux desktop is so fragmented as the point, go
>> with what you want.  Heck, even at Google, there's an article from the
>> last few months (can't find it at the moment), Googlers using Gobuntu I
>> think are free to use whatever DE they want.
>
> I think it's like ice ages: we'll eventually see a period of relative
defragmentation appear once again.  Things are shaken up all over the place
right now, and I think that most people are simply change-averse and
therefore aren't willing to go with the flow.  Again, to each their own.

> To those that don't like GNOME Shell out of the box, I say: check out
extensions.gnome.org; there are a lot of useful extensions there that
modify the behavior of the shell nicely.  If you don't find what you want
there, you can learn JavaScript and create your own extension rather
rapidly.  If you don't want to learn JavaScript, I'm pretty sure that it's
possible to develop extensions in other languages, but JavaScript in this
case would likely be the preferred thing, as they support that pretty much
out of the box.