[ale] DRAT! - Ubuntu 11.04 end of life

Don Kramer donkramer at gmail.com
Sat Nov 3 10:26:23 EDT 2012

A few quick comments:

1) If you want Ubuntu 12.04 with MATE: here's a distro that does that as
the default install:
http://www.snowlinux.de/482-snowlinux-2-qcreamq-download

2) A lot of people behind Gnome 3?  Don't count on it:
http://blogs.gnome.org/otte/2012/07/27/staring-into-the-abyss/

3) How long will these forks last? Well, the KDE 3.x fork Trinity is still
being updated:
http://www.trinitydesktop.org/

My take on it is the Linux desktop is so fragmented as the point, go with
what you want.  Heck, even at Google, there's an article from the last few
months (can't find it at the moment), Googlers using Gobuntu I think are
free to use whatever DE they want.

On Sat, Nov 3, 2012 at 8:44 AM, mike at trausch.us <mike at trausch.us> wrote:

> On 11/02/2012 11:48 PM, David Tomaschik wrote:
>
>> I've been running Cinnamon for quite a while now, both at home and at
>> work.  I use this PPA to install Cinnamon:
>> https://launchpad.net/~**gwendal-lebihan-dev/+archive/**cinnamon-stable<https://launchpad.net/~gwendal-lebihan-dev/+archive/cinnamon-stable>
>>
>> (The PPA is maintained by one of the Cinnamon devs, so I fairly well
>> trust it...)
>>

> Trust is relative...
>
> Are these forks going to last?
>
> Are they going to remain stable in the sense that they stay very much like
> GNOME's 2.x series?
>
> Are they going to be well-supported?
>
> I'll stick with GNOME 3, I think.  There are a lot of people behind it, it
> is improving all the time, and the GNOME Shell's extension mechanism,
> combined with the relative ease of writing plugins for it, makes it a
> (IMHO) superb environment.  Particularly with multiple heads.
>
>         --- Mike
>
> --
> A man who reasons deliberately, manages it better after studying Logic
> than he could before, if he is sincere about it and has common sense.
>                                    --- Carveth Read, “Logic”

Don Kramer
donkramer at gmail.com - email / 404-213-7738 - cell