[ale] So what do we do when the PC goes away?

Charles Shapiro hooterpincher at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 09:37:54 EDT 2012

Well, I can definitely see a 2-tier world,with techno-peasants using
smartphones and tablets, and the technorati using traditional PCs with
keyboard, mouse, and monitor.  For serious development -- or even long
writing sessions -- it's hard to beat a traditional desktop or laptop.
 On the media consumption side a simpler UI can be better.

The more interesting question is how open these devices will be.  If I
can't crack the machine, I ain't gonna use it.  Google's nexus series
are an interesting step in the right direction, as this (
http://tech.slashdot.org/story/12/10/30/1748236/googles-nexus-4-7-10-strategy-openness-at-all-costs
) slashdot article indicates.  I believe that Cyanogen has some
experimental builds that will work on the Nexus 7, at least.    Of
course, even the simplest unlock, bootloader change, et cetera is
going to require a conventional PC, at least so far.  A number of
cheap cellphone storefronts around town now offer cellphone unlocking
services at $20-30 a pop.  When I inquired at one, I was told that
they won't install a new bootloader or a 3rd-party built OS.  So
you're on your own for the really interesting parts.

-- CHS