[ale] OT: Windows 8 Open Source development crippled

Michael Campbell michael.campbell at gmail.com
Wed May 30 15:13:07 EDT 2012

On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 12:32 PM, JD <jdp at algoloma.com> wrote:

> Perhaps I'm just slow, but can't windows devs looking for a free setup use
> gcc
> and GTK or Qt?

Neither of those is produced by Microsoft, and are thus unknown to a lot of
"Windows Devs".  I find this particularly true in some of the "up and
coming" countries that are churning out devs by the thousands; their
colleges can sometimes be little more than training classes for MS
products, and nothing else exists in their universe.  I even use the term
"dev" somewhat tongue-in-cheek, since many that I've seen don't care about
development; they only care about getting a well above average paycheck and
are willing to learn to type and learn to put stuff together repeatedly
until it compiles to do it.