[ale] Install from a hard drive.

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue May 29 17:53:16 EDT 2012

Ah. An external DVD drive maybe an easy solution. Molasses in winter slow
over a USB port but pretty easy and reliable. For that matter, a typical
USB thumbdrive is plenty large enough and has no moving parts to worry
about.

Hmm. so it's not getting to the repo section in a kickstart as it's not
even _doing_ the kickstart.

If the ks.cfg file is on the repo hard drive, the partition that holds it
must be either vfat or ext2. anaconda will NOT fall back ext3 to ext2 so
that can be a fail point.

You can also tweak to opening menu to not launch the regular installation
and go straight to a kickstart installation.

On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 5:40 PM, Matthew <simontek at gmail.com> wrote:

> well certain machines have issues installing from cd, and the environment
> these machines are being deployed to, sand kills the optic drives fast.
> Also it's a HUGE IA issue if I try to connect these machines to the net. I
> am sure I will figure it out this week, then write a how-to on my linux
> blog.
>

> On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 5:21 PM, Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> how are you trying to load it? Using a http repo is easiest but requires
>> networking.*****
>> * local hard drive with repo _should_ work with:
>> repo=hd:<dev>:<path>
>> where <dev> is sda3, hda1, etc and path is full path from top of
>> partition tree.
>>
>> note: some version of anaconda changed the <dev> and required /dev/sda3
>> and the next release reverted back on next update (or was that reversed?)
>>
>> On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 2:48 PM, Matthew <simontek at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>  I have a custom distro, built off of RHEL 5.8, I am trying to set it
>>> to install from the hard drive. For some reason, its ignoring my
>>> kickstarts, and firing up a reg rhel install. What could I be missing?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Sent from my mobile device
>>>
>>> SimonTek
>>> 912-398-6704
>>>

>> --
>> --
>> James P. Kinney III
>>
>> As long as the general population is passive, apathetic, diverted to
>> consumerism or hatred of the vulnerable, then the powerful can do as they
>> please, and those who survive will be left to contemplate the outcome.
>> - *2011 Noam Chomsky
>>
>> http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/
>> *

> SimonTek