[ale] [OT] Life north of ATL?

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Fri May 25 08:42:10 EDT 2012

Cameron Kilgore <ghostfreeman at gmail.com> writes:

> On Thursday, May 24, 2012 at 1:29 PM, Jim Kinney wrote:
>
>    I always thought that rail should have been built down the middle of 400
>    so those stuck in traffic could watch the trains whiz by.
>
>> There won't be enough space to extend the rail down the middle of 400
>> NB. Most of the land next to 400 NB is owned by GDOT/Fulton County
>> anyway.
>>
>> In DC, at least two highways have the middle occupied by the Metro. I'm sure
>> its for 'marketing' purposes.

Honestly, I'm with Jim here -- I thought the MARTA should travel not
just up 400, but up 75, around 285, and basically follow most of the
highways.  Alas, there isn't room for it on 400 north of 285, unless it
went up onto an elevated platform.  It's doable, but MUCH more expensive
than if there were space on ground level.

I'd still love to see the MARTA get extended.  I'm a 10-15 minute drive
to North Springs.  I'd love to be a 5 minute drive from a closer stop
(Northridge, anyone?)

-derek