[ale] Raspberry Pi

James Taylor James.Taylor at eastcobbgroup.com
Thu May 24 13:33:37 EDT 2012

I'm basing this on a couple of articles that stated that airplay worked on this.
HDMI out to the projectors. The projectors may even have USB port that could be used for power.
I was looking at seeing if I could get one for testing to see if it's feasible.
-jt

On 05/24/2012 11:40 AM, James Taylor wrote:
> I wasn't paying a lot of attention to the Raspberry Pi discussions earlier, but now I have an application that I think it will work for.
> I'm working with a school system that is considering buying 11 Apple TV's so that they can send video to projectors using their iPads.
> It looks to me like Raspberry Pi will do the same for a lot less and I like the idea of supporting this project rather than Apple.
> Has anyone had any luck with suppliers to purchase these things easily?
> Also, to do what I described, are than any recommendations about accessories I would need to do this?
> Thanks,
> -jt

Is $50 extra per device, one time, worth the lack of hassle that any other
device would require?  I don't know.

I do not have an Apple--anything. Never plan to, but in a school environment,
things that "just work" can make lots of sense.  OTOH, how will does streaming
from a likely-cheaper Android tablet work to an AppleTV?  I was under the
impression that to stream to an AppleTV, that an Apple-router was required.
Perhaps that has changed or I could simply be confused. Also, doesn't ATV only
have HDMI out?

I own a WDTV-Live-HD device. It can stream HiDef content over DLNA, samba and
many other methods. It runs Linux and there are custom ROMs
available: http://b-rad.cc/wdtv-firmware-dvd-enabled/  The stock firmware is
easy enough to use, but isn't "pretty" - think folders, not pictures.  I've
bought a WiFi-N USB dongle for $11 that works fine. I've seen this model for $65
new - not the Netflix model, just the HiDef model.  The output for the WDTV is
* composite
* s-video
* component
* HDMI

The issue right now with Raspberry PI devices is extremely limited availability.
Order today for shipping .... when - 2013?  Sure, they should be able to do more
than just playback video and there should be a market where F/LOSS projects
thrive for the R-Pi - at some point.  Hopefully, someone here will know the
shipping dates/delays. Also, the Pi might be sold for $25, but I'd read that
after shipping and tax it was more list $85 ea to the USA.  Without a PSU or case.

If I were doing this for my day job and wanted the least hassle, I - an
Apple-hater - would recommend buying AppleTVs **assuming** other Apple hardware
was not required and the projectors already had HDMI inputs.

The school system actually bought $500 iPads?  That just sucks when a $300
netbook would have much more capabilities.

I'm sure there are other considerations you can't say and politics.  Perhaps the
best answer is to get 1 each - WDTV and AppleTV and some other small, cheap
Linux video device and see which works best before making a decision?