[ale] help providing stable power to pc's to ride through storms

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Wed May 23 08:12:51 EDT 2012

Plug you monitors into just a surge protector so the battery life is
longer. If a storm is over you, you don't need to be on electrical devices
anyway so a blank screen is OK. It is possible to have a system beep
indicator that the system is running on battery power so you know you're OK
without the screen. So far, all of the APC and TrippLite UPS I have used
beep when they're running battery anyway.

What I've found to be a good working process for complicated boot scenarios
is to
A. script he fool out of them so they work on reboot.
B. setup the UPS to initiate a clean shutdown if the power is off for
longer than 1 minute.
C. if possible, set the UPS to not power back on until the battery is at
90%.

James P. Kinney III

- *2011 Noam Chomsky

http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/