[ale] help providing stable power to pc's to ride through storms

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Tue May 22 00:08:43 EDT 2012

Hi Bob,

Based on your recommendations as well as Mike H's and Wolf's , I'm looking more into the UPS options. That may be the best solution for a sub $ 300 price tag. However, taking the APC Backups Pro 1500 as an example, the surge protection rating is only 354 joules. That sounds insanely low. That doesn't inspire my confidence at all using the thing as a surge protection device. APC's free standing premium surge protectors in the $ 50 range have ratings of 2000 - 3000 joules. Perhaps I should use a free standing surge protector then connect the UPS to that.

Sincerely,

Ron

Please excuse my potential brevity.

(To whom it may concern. My email address has changed. Replying to former
address. Please send all personal correspondence to the new address.)

call on the phone. I get about 300 emails per day from alternate energy
mailing lists and such. I don't always see new email messages very quickly.)

Ron Frazier
770-205-9422 (O) Leave a message.
linuxdude AT techstarship.com

Bob Toxen <transam at VerySecureLinux.com> wrote:

On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 08:36:00PM -0400, Ron Frazier (ALE) wrote:
> Hi guys,

> I need some electrical power advice. It's possible you will give me
> the answer and I won't be able to afford it, but I'd like to know what
> you think.

> Counting my wife's machine, my computer table has 4 laptops, 1 desktop,
> 2 monitors, and miscellaneous hubs, speakers, phones, etc.
Short best recommendation: buy a 1000W or 1500W APC of TripLite UPS.
Leave it plugged in to the wall during storms. Turn off the monitors
if the lights go out (except to shut down systems if the power stays
out for more than 5 minutes, in which case it will be out for a while).

I've had an excellent 17 years of experience with APC, including a storm
that fried other non-APC protected equipment (an electronically
controlled ceiling fan). I know a few others have a bad opinion of APC
and recommend TripLite. Don't even think of buying any other brand
than APC or TripLite.

The good brands are designed so that on a direct (or near) lightning hit
that circuits between the wall and your computers burn out, breaking the
path to your computers to protect the computers. Realistically, a
direct hit is extremely unlikely and can fry even unconnected
electronics due to induced currents, arcing, and such. (How many times
has your house been hit by lightning before?)

It's more critical to also run phone and cable lines (if you get cable
Internet) through a UPS/Surge Protector's filters.

If you really want to be protected against a direct lightning strike
(talking about a motor-generator setup), you first need to insure
several inches to a foot separation between any cables "outside" of the
UPS/Surge Protector filters, e.g., extension cords and anything being
protected to protect against an arc.

Consider lighting rods installed on your roof (maybe $2000-3000 or so)
if you're really worried.

My "Smart" APC 1500 (a year old) displays how many minutes it should
keep equipment running given current power usage. Mine says 120 minutes
for 4 towers and a laptop and one monitor.

Remember that laptops use roughly 40-100W, hubs tiny amounts, blanked
monitors not too much, and towers (guessing) 200-500W for high-end ones.
Use an AC ammeter or wattmeter to measure for sure. The running power
often is 25-50% of what the data plate claims as a maximum.

If you want even more protection, instead of a motor-generator, spend
$1000 for a Yamaha 2 KW generator (fairly quiet) or roughly $1500-2000 for
a Honda really quiet generator and switch the UPS plug to the generator
when it is storming. I used a relay for an automatic switch but that
risks a lighting strike arcing across the relay's 0.1 inch contact gap.
I assume that the UPSs will work.

In any case, frequent OFF SITE backups are a must.

> Sincerely,
>
> Ron

Bob Toxen
bob at verysecurelinux.com [Please use for email to me]
http://www.verysecurelinux.com [Network&Linux security consulting]
http://www.realworldlinuxsecurity.com [My book:"Real World Linux Security 2/e"]
Quality spam and virus filters.

them all and in the darkness grind them. In the Land of Redmond where
the shadows lie...and the Eye is everwatching"
-- The Silicon Valley Tarot Henrique Holschuh with ... Bob