[ale] OT: Cobb County business license office

Geoffrey Myers lists at serioustechnology.com
Mon May 21 13:37:02 EDT 2012

On 05/21/2012 01:16 PM, Jim Kinney wrote:
> HA! I ESPECIALLY like the "expect the best".
>
> I recall the line from Apollo 13, "We're riding a bomb built by the
> lowest bidder".
>
> Most gov orgs rely on outside contracting for IT build and often ongoing
> support. There's a sweet spot between "stupid money" and "low cost crap"
> that is rarely found, it seems.

Turns out they have passed some new law which requires additional
paperwork, thus the backup.

Speaking of gov. orgs., they are migrating Cobb County Schools from
groupwise to exchange/outlook.  They gave all the teachers a document to
assist them with the process.  29 pages.  My wife got to page 3 where it
stated, it should finish within 1 hour.  She left her laptop on over
night, still wasn't finished.  Contacted IT support and they tried to go
through the same process remotely, same results.  Now their sending
someone out to the school.