[ale] Carroll Shelby

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Mon May 21 12:29:38 EDT 2012

Hmm. 60 in 2cnd gear. That would put the engine at about 5100-5300 rpm. You
had another 15-20 mph to go!

My 1981 924 turbo can hit 50 in first gear pretty easily. I once punched
from under 40 to a tad over 90 in a breathtakingly short time frame passing
a truck on I285. It takes a gentle foot to drive in traffic :-)  It's
pretty low roof-line makes it almost need a kids safety flag :D

On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 9:59 AM, Scott Castaline <skotchman at gmail.com>wrote:

> Back in the early 80's my brother-in-law's brother-in-law had a
> Porsche I think the Carrera. He let us try it out. I saw blue flashing
> lights up ahead which prompted me to look at the speedometer. I was
> doing 60mph in a 25mph zone and was still in 2nd gear. I stopped the
> car got out and let him drive us back to my brother-in-law's house.
> Never had the urge for one of those again at least not for "normal"
> driving.
>
> - --
> On 05/21/2012 02:01 AM, Ron Frazier (ALE) wrote:
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > I know this thread is a few days old, but I thought I'd add a
> > little something.  I've never considered myself a car nut, and have
> > never had the money to have anything exotic.  I have been watching
> > shows here and there lately on the Velocity network and, even
> > before his death, Carroll Shelby's name would come up periodically.
> > So, I've learned a little bit about him.  What I really find
> > fascinating about his life is that he never stopped kicking, so to
> > speak, and ended his life recapturing some of the glory he had
> > during the 60's.  I say, if you gotta go, that's a good way to end
> > things.  I think they told him a flaky heart was going to kill him
> > 40 years ago.  I haven't heard any news about the specifics of his
> > death.
> >
> > I've been eyeballing the new Mustangs for a few years since they
> > returned to the body styling that is like the originals.  Based on
> > my pocket book, I'll probably be eyeballing them (ONLY) for a few
> > more years.  I thought I'd let everyone know that the Velocity
> > network is broadcasting several shows called, Carroll Shelby, King
> > of the Road. They're going on at various times throughout tonight
> > and into tomorrow (Monday) and possibly after that.  On the Comcast
> > network, that's channel 205.  I just watched the one about the
> > modern Shelby GT 350 and, later, I'm recording the one about the GT
> > 500.
> >
> > I definitely have one of those on my try before I die list, and
> > hopefully it wouldn't help me die.  Driving something with 4 times
> > the HP of my Toyota Camry would certainly be interesting.
> >
> > Sincerely,
> >
> > Ron
> >

> > On 5/11/2012 4:41 PM, Drifter wrote:
> >> For all you car nuts out there.
> >>
> >> Carroll Shelby died last night in Dallas.  He was 89.
> >>
> >> Sean

James P. Kinney III

- *2011 Noam Chomsky

http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/