[ale] bash commands

arxaaron arxaaron at gmail.com
Sat May 19 10:54:15 EDT 2012

On 2012/05/18, at 17:55 , Drifter wrote:

> Thanks.  That did it.
>
> sean

Pipes ["|"] are for moving output across processes.

I suspect that bash was trying to run your empty text file
as a process.  "Permission Denied" was an appropriate
error message.

Redirects [">" | ">>"] are for writing output streams to files.
The first version appends to the file (and creates it if it doesn't
exist),  the second "double" form overwrites the file (or creates
it if it doesn't exist)

HTH
peace
aaron