[ale] finding ubuntu mirrors

Lightner, Jeff JLightner at water.com
Fri May 18 08:27:08 EDT 2012

Does the book talk about the fact that Digital's founders sent IBM away because they didn't want to sign the non-disclosure agreement during the build of the original IBM PC?   Bill Gates in a rare bit of honesty had actually told IBM he didn't have an OS so they should go to the Digital folks.   The Digital folks who weren't any bigger than Bill back then gave the IBM guys so much grief they went back to Bill begging for an OS.  He bought QDos (quick and dirty operating system) and sold it to IBM with non-exclusive rights - the entire MS empire was built from that and it was widely seen as a thinly veiled rip-off of CP/M at the time.

Imagine how much better Digital might have done if they'd had the marketing abilities of M$.   Funny thing is although I have heard much about Dec over the years this is the first place I ever worked that had them and they were decommissioned very soon after I started ~7.5 years ago.