[ale] Ubuntu dropping support for older CPU's, non PAE machines

James Taylor James.Taylor at eastcobbgroup.com
Thu May 17 16:11:31 EDT 2012

I've got openSUSE 12.1 32 bit on my ARM netbook using KDE, and it runs everything I'm running on my 64bit desktop (with exception of vmware) and it runs with without any major slowness.
Ubuntu has always seemed like MS in a Penguin suit to me.
Just sayin'...
-jt

James Taylor
678-697-9420
james.taylor at eastcobbgroup.com

On Thu, 17 May 2012, Ron Frazier (ALE) wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> FYI, here's some more data I found while researching the possibilities of upgrading my pc's to Ubuntu 12.04.
>
> In 12.04, there is no longer default support for 32 bit machines without
> PAE (Physical Address Extension) capability. Which means you have to

Without any scientific data:

    I have noticed that my big Sony laptop is drawing considerably more
    juice and CPU power on 12.04. My travel power brick (90w) has shut down
    due to overheating several times. It's never done that before.
    The OEM brick is 150watts, and that works ok.

    My point is: 12.04 is -not- for underpowered machnes. I also put in on
    a couple of P4's with 2gb of ram to repurpose and give away.
    It worked ok, but was not snappy.

    Perhaps you should not be putting it on 32 bit low
    powered minimal ram systems.

        --Mike--